Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Spiritual Growth
Crucified with Christ
April 16, 2006

1. The cross and spiritual growth. Jesus died for my sin

· The necessity of the cross/ God’s good news – the gospel.

When Adam sinned, sin entered the world. Adam's sin brought death, so death spread to everyone, for everyone sinned. Romans 5:12
  • The cross is God’s provision for my sin.
  • All spiritual growth starts from the day I come to Christ.
  • But I never have a day that I don’t need the message of the gospel. “Preaching the gospel to myself every day” tells me that:

    Ø The gospel frees me from the penalty of sin.



    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23

    Ø The gospel frees me from the guilt of sin.

    How much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify our conscience from dead works to serve the living God. Hebrews 9:14

    Ø The cross frees me from the power of sin.

    Our old sinful selves were crucified with Christ so that sin might lose its power in our lives. We are no longer slaves to sin. Romans 6:6

    Ø The gospel frees me to live life as God intended – the Christ life.

    I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Gal 2:20

    For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. Phil 1:21


    2. The life of Christ and His own growth. Jesus lived as my example

    Pattern

    He grew in the fruit of the Spirit.

    Ø His love in giving his life for many.
    Ø His joy as the Great Shepherd who carries His lost sheep to the Father.
    Ø His peace in the midst of a storm.
    Ø His patience with slow-to-learn disciples.
    Ø His kindness to the poor and needy.
    Ø The sheer goodness of His life as He ministers publicly for three years.
    Ø His amazing faithfulness to God in His mission and to undeserving men.
    Ø His gentleness to the sick and needy, to the broken hearted, and to needy and hopeless sinners.
    Ø His self-control when wicked men mocked and scourged Him.

    He grew through overcoming temptation.

    For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Hebrews 4:15

    For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted. Hebrews 2:18


    He grew in obedience.

    Although he was a son, he learned obedience through what he suffered. Heb 5:8

    He grew through experience.

    And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men. Luke 2:52

    Means

    Jesus knew the scriptures.
    Jesus found fellowship with God in prayer.
    Jesus looked for fellowship with God’s people.


    3. He is risen! Jesus ascended to heaven for me

    To prepare a place for me.

    In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going. John 14:2-4

    And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. Ephesians 2:6-7

    To send me the Holy Spirit.

    Nevertheless, I am telling you the truth. It is for your benefit that I go away, because if I don't go away the Counselor (Helper) will not come to you. If I go, I will send Him to you. John 16:7

    To be my intercessor.

    Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them. Hebrews 7:25

    My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. 1John 2:1

    To be my judge.

    For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad. 2 Cor 5:10


    But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. Galatians 6:14

No comments: